Thursday, September 23, 2010

Hanging onto Seasons

I live in Florida where there are two (sometimes three) seasons, and neither (none) can be considered Fall*. So what is the significance of the first day of Fall here? The leaves haven't started to turn, the air isn't growing brisk, the pumpkins aren't about to appear in the ground, there are no apples to pick, and NO ONE wants to ride around in hay in 90 degree weather. No, the significance lies entirely in the big-fucking-deal that the news was making about it last night. "How the FIRST DAY OF FALL will affect your temperatures tonight at 10!"


 

Fuck you, weather man. You know how my temperatures are going to be affected? We'll be lucky if it drops in to the low 80s. That's how. Stop making a big deal about it local news stations. No one cares about the first day of fall around here. Except the Pagan club at my church who are celebrating the Autumnal Equinox, but of course that is there choice, but it's probably going to be hot that day so I'm not sure I want to hang around outside welcoming AUTUMN. I think I hit the Maybe button on that one. Of course I want to go, but I don't know if I can make it…


 

*Ahem* My fiancé and I are getting married in the Autumn next year. I've chosen my bridesmaids dresses already and I want to put the maid of honor in a reverse color. "But, but, but" one of my bridesmaids sputters. She is joined by a friend of ours who was tagging along "but, but, but."


 

But WHAT?


 

The color isn't a FALL color.


 

You mean to tell me that my Maid of Honor is going to clash with the changing leaves? No, that can't be it, because the leaves in Florida don't turn.

Will she clash with the pumpkins growing in the ground? Do pumpkins grow in 80 degree temperatures?

The only thing standing between me and my chosen color is the IDEA of Fall. That's it!


 

On top of that we're getting married in an AQUARIUM. I know, right? So cool. Anyway, my point is that we'll be inside the WHOLE time! And my only concern needs to be, will the dresses look okay next to the fish tanks?


 

As a former Northerner, I too had trouble letting Fall go, but after years of disappointment around this time of year. The temperatures don't change much and the trees are perpetually green. I've let go of my favorite season and so should every other person who's thought it was a good idea to move down to Florida; including the local news stations. The pagans can keep it.

*Our seasons are Hurricane and Sunshine. Seriously, they call it "Hurricane Season."

No comments: